U.S. History II: American Yawp
“History is our ongoing conversation with the past.” So say the authors of American Yawp. This course takes an approach to history that fosters a method of critical thought and a rigorous questioning of the history of the United States. Key topics include Reconstruction, Industrial America, conquering the West, capital and labor, the American empire, the progressive era, World War I and its aftermath, the 1920s, the Great Depression, World War II, the Cold War, post-war affluence, the 1960s, cultural and societal conflicts, the rise of the right and conservatism, and the recent past from 1990 to the Great Recession.
This course is based on the collaborative, open, online text entitled American Yawp, including the American Yawp Primary Source Reader. The course also includes ancillary material from OpenStax US History as well as videos, images, quizzes, and other enhancements from various sources. Assignments were contributed by Thomas deMayo and Chris Thomas from Reynolds Community College.
Additional Course Features
These course materials include:
- Outcome-aligned OER: Designed to replace expensive textbooks, this course curates the best available open educational resources (OER) aligned with learning outcomes. Teach it as-is or customize to fit your needs.
- LMS Integration: This course is delivered with seamless LMS integration and automatic grade return for Canvas, Blackboard, Brightspace, and Moodle.
- Accessibility: Lumen is 100% committed to providing learning materials that are accessible to all learners. Lumen course materials are mobile-friendly.
Why Teach with Lumen Course Materials?
- Replace expensive textbooks: Ready-to-adopt open educational resources (OER) include text, videos, simulations, self-checks, and other interactives.
- Choose affordability: Low cost to students.
- Use better content: Continuous, data-driven improvements make OER content more effective at supporting learning.
- Simplify access: Easy access to course materials in your LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, and Moodle) plus automatic grade return.
- Improve student outcomes: Research shows Lumen course materials can improve academic performance, passing rates, and course completion.
- Save time: Start with curated, outcome-aligned OER and supplemental instructor resources like quiz banks, assignments, slide decks, etc.
- Customize your course: Freedom to tailor course content to fit your learning outcomes and instructional approach.
- Enjoy awesome support: Faculty-friendly onboarding, training, and support.
- Learn by doing: Online homework, self-check activities, and other interactive tools strengthen learning.
- Engage from day one: Avoid falling behind with access course materials from the first day of class.
- Retain materials: Download a digital copy of course content to keep forever.
- Become a better learner: Real-time feedback guides students on where to focus and how to improve.