Introduction to Business
This Introduction to Business course develops students’ understanding of business fundamentals with learning design structured around timely, real-world case studies and examples. Key topics include the role of business, the global economic and legal environment, ethics, marketing, accounting and finance, and managing processes and operations. Enriched OER content (text, video, simulations, etc.) orients students to the shifting business landscape and prepares them for success in business program curriculum and the workplace.
This course was written by Linda Williams (Tidewater Community College) and Lumen Learning, with contributions from Nina Burokas (Mendocino College, Saddleback College) and Robert Danielson (Saint Mary’s College of California), and is supplemented by content from OpenStax Principles of Economics, Boundless Business, and videos from multiple sources. Additional contributions were created by Tina Lance at Germanna Community College, Wendy Wright at Cerritos College, Betty Fitte at Tidewater Community College, Bob Carroll & Andrea Foster at Montgomery Community College, and Charlene Barker at Spokane Falls Community College.
The latest edition of Waymaker Introduction to Business includes improvements and enhancements. We have fully revised Module 8: Entrepreneurship and added a new module, Module 17: Using Technology to Manage Business Information. These improved and new modules both include practice opportunities for students to enrich their learning.
Lumen OER courses apply learning science to engage students and better support the learning process. Lumen materials aim to deliver an active learning experience. They include text, images, videos, assessments, directed feedback, practice questions, simulations, and other interactives that invite students to apply their knowledge, improve their understanding, and perform better. Term over term, Lumen’s Waymaker courseware makes it possible to use learning data to identify where content improvements are needed. We work collaboratively with faculty and subject matter experts to develop and test iterative, continuous improvements aimed at increasing efficacy and learning.
Additional Course Features
These course materials include:
- Waymaker Courseware: User-friendly Waymaker learning tools improve success for at-risk students with personalized study plans, automated study tips and nudges, and early alerts to identify and help struggling students.
- Outcome-aligned OER: Designed to replace expensive textbooks, this course curates the best available open educational resources (OER) aligned with learning outcomes. Teach it as-is or customize to fit your needs.
- LMS Integration: This course is delivered with seamless LMS integration and automatic grade return for Canvas, Blackboard, Brightspace, and Moodle.
- Accessibility: Lumen is 100% committed to providing learning materials that are accessible to all learners. Lumen course materials are mobile-friendly.
Linda Williams, Tidewater Community College
Nina Burokas, Mendocino College and Saddleback College
Robert Danielson, Saint Mary’s College of California
Tina Lance, Germanna Community College
Wendy Wright, Cerritos College
Betty Fitte, Tidewater Community College
Bob Carroll, Montgomery Community College
Andrea Foster, Montgomery Community College
Charlene Barker, Spokane Falls Community College
What People Are Saying
“Since using Waymaker, student learning has improved since they engage with the material at a deeper level using critical thinking skills.” – Kathryn Rhodes, Roane State Community College
“Since using Waymaker, I have had better conversations in the classroom.” – Mary Stucko, Lansing Community College
“Waymaker is an intuitive experience that allows each student to work at their own pace. It also allows students to have the course materials from day one!” – Stephanie Tebeau, Tidewater Community College
Faculty Roundtable: Waymaker Introduction to Business
View this faculty roundtable recording to hear about other teachers’ experiences using these course materials. This session features Professor Linda Williams of Tidewater Community College.
Why Teach with Lumen Course Materials?
- Replace expensive textbooks: Ready-to-adopt open educational resources (OER) include text, videos, simulations, self-checks, and other interactives.
- Choose affordability: Low cost to students.
- Use better content: Continuous, data-driven improvements make OER content more effective at supporting learning.
- Simplify access: Easy access to course materials in your LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, and Moodle) plus automatic grade return.
- Improve student outcomes: Research shows Lumen course materials can improve academic performance, passing rates, and course completion.
- Save time: Start with curated, outcome-aligned OER and supplemental instructor resources like quiz banks, assignments, slide decks, etc.
- Customize your course: Freedom to tailor course content to fit your learning outcomes and instructional approach.
- Enjoy awesome support: Faculty-friendly onboarding, training, and support.
- Learn by doing: Online homework, self-check activities, and other interactive tools strengthen learning.
- Engage from day one: Avoid falling behind with access course materials from the first day of class.
- Retain materials: Download a digital copy of course content to keep forever.
- Become a better learner: Real-time feedback guides students on where to focus and how to improve.